It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:02 pm 
Driver
Driver

Dave,

I think this has been asked before (maybe by me).....but can't find it in this forum so maybe it is buried in a string with an unrelated name/topic?

Can 3DSimED show the race groove (galpha settings in aiw waypoints) by flipping on a "switch" or something? If "no." Can you make it do that?

Editing track's race groove data is tedious enough.....even with your new DOS tool to isolate the galpha data from the trackname.aiw file. But, having to go into the track via launch GTR2....drive around to view and tell where you are at with current progress of aiw galpha editing....is a huge time waster! Being able to view this via 3DSimED (especially if there was also a "refresh groove data" button).....would be a huge feature in 3DSimEd that would save enormous amounts of time.

So that's why I am asking about this................

FYI: Race grooves on sim tracks need to cover 100% of the race track length. Race cars drop fluids where ever they run......in the line mostly so "the line" is darkened around the entire track. It becomes darker in turns and braking zones....as well as some acceleration zones. Once you drive a simulated track with 100% race groove the realism is such a dramatic addition, driving them without it almost becomes unacceptable from then on. Most mod community add-on tracks don't even have correct race grooves in the braking zones (particularly tracks ported from rFactor to gTR2). So this is an ongoing project for all tracks. Helping us do it better/easier will eliminate the issue eventually.....for all tracks.

Appeal to Mod Community: Please edit your race groove in tracks you convert from rFactor to GTR2. rFactor aiw files allow a galpha setting of 1.0000 as the highest (darkest) setting. But, GTR2 aiw files do not read any digit left of the decimal point, hence 0.9999 is the highest Darkest)....and thus a setting of "1.0000" is read as "zero" in GTR2. This is why many rFactor converted tracks have spotty...chopped up race groove. Drives me crazy!

Regards,

Tom Pabst

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:58 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

I will have a look in the near future to see what can be done, but it's likely to be a very difficult feature to add.

Cheers!

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:42 pm 
Driver
Driver

Thanks Dave. That would be a huge addition if you could make it work some how. Perhaps some kind of a toggle on/off type thing like the reflections materials for wet track reflections.

Perhaps it might not be as difficult if you didn't need the "groove.dds" file to lay the color down on the track. Any transparent color (even a bright green or something) would work as all we need to do is see where the groove is currently shown (which waypoints have a galpha setting above 0.0000) so we can trace/follow our work in editing it around the full circuit.

Regards,

Tom