It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:06 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

rF to Assetto Corsa Track converting - only using 3DSimed

UPDATE: as you might know I´ve done many, many tracks for AC converting with mostly using 3DSimed in the meantime. For those how are interested in converting tracks on their own I´ve uploaded a conversion kit on my mediafire account:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xm58vco4u ... ojects.rar

It contains a text file with many infos and a track dummy folder I´m always using for new projects.

Hi community!

OK I tested the new functions of 3DSimed and tried to convert 2 tracks from rFactor to Assetto Corsa only using 3DSimed as 3D software!
First of all: Yes it is possible to make good results that can be shared. But I had some issues and I want to give some feedback for improvements.

1. Mayor issue I have is the transparency of objects. Some objects - especially fences - have a strange transparency. Some parts of the track can be seen through theses and some not.

Pic shows that problem. Spectators are not seen through the fences.

2. Is it possible to make a batch option of shader changes? At the moment I had to change the shader manually to ksPerPixel for every material! (See 3. why)

3. I had a problem with exporting the tracks to AC.
-if I did: 3DSimed -> ksEditor -> AC -> ctd*
-if I did: 3DSimed -> ksEditor -> 3DSimed -> AC -> worked, but wrong shader added and no shadows

* For me this is important because the ksEditor adds shadows and shader automatically to the objects when exporting to kn5. 3DSimed does not.

4. Is it possible to smooth the road meshes with 3DSimed? I had one track that is terribly bumpy after the conversion.

That's my Christmas wish-list :)
I hope I don't ask for too much. But if this is solved it will be much easier to convert the good old tracks to this great AC engine.

Last edited by Rainmaker on Wed May 03, 2017 4:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:41 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

1) There can be many reasons for what you are seeing with the fence, but what looks to be happening is that the spectators are not drawn because they are behind the catch fence in the depth buffer. I'm not fully sure how the Assetto engine deals with this issue but have you marked the fence as Alpha Blending with the crowd set to Alpha Chroma? - if you have try raising the ksAlphaRef for the fence.

2) Yes, it should be possible to have batch setting of the shader.

3) Not sure about the shadows, if I set an object to cast shadows it works, I think the difference is that the KsEditor default is shadow casting on whereas 3DSimED3 has shadow casting set to false.

4) No, sorry and it's unlikely for a while. If you can find something in Blender to do the smoothing then you could use the following: Save Materials in 3DSimED, export to Collada, edit in Blender exporting back to Collada, import the changes to 3DSimED and then use Load Materials to restore the materials.

I am looking to improve the export to the KsEditor because it seems that most of the editing info goes in the .INI 'persistence' file. I am hoping to add some functionality to the FBX export to also write an .INI file which can be used by KsEditor.

Cheers!

Dave N.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:30 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Thanks for your detailed answer it helped me much!

1) Yes that's it! There was a Alpha Chroma setting missing. That was the mayor problem.

2) :)

3) Yes the shadows work of course but its same as in point 2, there is a batch option missing, like "Set Visible Caster to all objects + ignore object 1wallXX, 1grassXX".

4) OK the im- and export worked greatly. But unfortunately my idea to raise the number of subdivisions for the road mesh did not made it better.

I also think that the focus should be on the correct im- and export to ksEditor. But maybe we should wait for the v1.0 of Assetto Corsa anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:37 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

There is a way...
1) Ensure the objects you need to set are the only objects displayed by using Display->Object Filter.
2 ) Use Edit->All Visible->Objects->Set Tags to change those objects.
3) Make sure the shadows Edit checkbox is ticked and select Shadow Caster.

Cheers!

Dave N.

Rainmaker wrote:

3) Yes the shadows work of course but its same as in point 2, there is a batch option missing, like "Set Visible Caster to all objects + ignore object 1wallXX, 1grassXX".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:20 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Thanks that worked :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:35 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I have another question to transparency of materials. Sometimes I can´t see the objects from both sides.

For example here:

On this side I can see the fence but not the spectators.

On the other I can see the spectators but not the fence.

Is it possible to change that?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:10 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

OK I talked with SIM TRAXX in the AC forum. They said it´s because of the AC engine that does not know double sides.

Another question: Is it possible to save the fbx.ini separately to share it with others?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:51 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Rainmaker,

How did you correctly orientate the axis of the spawn objects in 3DSimED?

I have only been able to do this via 3Ds Max.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:04 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I use cubes from a Mitja Bonca track. I load them all severalty into 3DSimed. The only thing is you can´t get out of ksEditor with it:

set in 3DSimed -> ksEditor -> AC -> crash

but:

set in 3DSimed -> ksEditor -> 3DSimed ->AC -> :checkers:

3DSimed has still issues with some transparency blendings, which makes it impossible to export most race groove materials. But else is fine :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

When are you having a problem?, if I import one of the stock tracks the groove looks perfect (to me) exporting directly to AC or to KsEditor via FBX.

Cheers!

Dave N.

Rainmaker wrote:
I use cubes from a Mitja Bonca track. I load them all severalty into 3DSimed. The only thing is you can´t get out of ksEditor with it:

set in 3DSimed -> ksEditor -> AC -> crash

but:

set in 3DSimed -> ksEditor -> 3DSimed ->AC -> :checkers:

3DSimed has still issues with some transparency blendings, which makes it impossible to export most race groove materials. But else is fine :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:24 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

For example: If I open Barbagallo http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads ... eway.4407/

in 3DSimed and export it to .kn5 (no matter if I did changes or not), I will get this picture in AC:

Alpha Blend results mostly always into complete transparent materials if rendered out directly to AC. I did a track from kn5 -> 3dsimed -> ksEditor -> AC and this worked then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:42 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Many thanks for getting back to me with the example. I think it's the material handling that's gone wrong, and at first glance there's more than one problem. I'll report back when I know more.

Cheers!

Dave N.

Rainmaker wrote:
For example: If I open Barbagallo http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads ... eway.4407/

Alpha Blend results mostly always into complete transparent materials if rendered out directly to AC. I did a track from kn5 -> 3dsimed -> ksEditor -> AC and this worked then.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:23 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Rainmaker wrote:
On this side I can see the fence but not the spectators.

On the other I can see the spectators but not the fence.

I could solve that issue. You have to change the normals (make a copy first).

I don´t know if this is possible in 3DSimed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:51 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Yes, with the normals reversed you will change the direction the fence is seen from but I'm fairly sure the fence will still be one-sided so any camera outside will not see it.
BTW, you can use the Display->Culling function to see which way faces point which will give you a good idea whether an object has been modelled with two sides or just one.

Here's how you could make an object double-sided in 3DSimED3.

1) Select object and use the function Instance Edit Pane -> Isolate.
2) You should now just have the object on it own to edit. We need a copy of the faces: Edit->Copy All.
3) To reverse the faces: Edit->Select All Visible->Faces->Reverse Faces.
4) To retrieve a copy of the original faces Edit->Paste->Paste Faces and just tick - no need to create a group.

We now have an object with two sides.

5) Edit->Copy All to copy it.
6) Go back to original drawing and you should still be in the Instance Edit Pane so just choose the paste function, your object is now updated.

Long winded, so I will try to add something more automatic in the next release.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:54 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

I've now corrected the issues were to do with the shaders used for the asphalt and grass, I'll try to post an update of the plugins soon.
Thanks again for posting the problem.

Cheers

Dave N.

Dave Noonan wrote:
Many thanks for getting back to me with the example. I think it's the material handling that's gone wrong, and at first glance there's more than one problem. I'll report back when I know more.

Cheers!

Dave N.

Rainmaker wrote: