It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:29 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

hi guys....I am using 2.6 3dsimed with rf1 and i have a problem with changing the textures on trees with a track!...basically when using 3dsimed i would load a track up isolate a group of trees then go to "edit" in the top menu then click on the "editing materials" button. then press "new" to add a new texture which i add to the other textures of that track folder.Once the new texture is in the list of textures for the gmt of those group of trees ,I then edit the face of the object"tree" and i see the change of that new texture take place on that tree. I then save that gmt and close down the gmt and the track scene to reload the track scene again and i then see the new tree in the reloaded track scene!..I then go into the game to drive my car on that track and the new texture isn't there in the game its still the old texture that i changed earlier!...is there something i am doing wrong or missing something for that new texture to NOT appear in the game?..i checked the others trees in 3dsimed and all trees in the scene of that track is set to "simple" transparency and they are "double sided" as well! (Alpha is 1), (mip map is ticked) and that is all that is on or ticked as with all the other old trees...any help would be much appreciated thanks guys!...cheers PS...can the tree textures be darkened so they dont look cartoonish as the trees look very lime green and bright!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:06 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

when you add new texture to your isolated group of trees, did you change the material name of the tree that required changing ?
if not when loaded back into game the old material/texture will be still loaded.

The tree texture can be darkened in photoshop or other editing program then loaded onto your new material.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:18 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

hi phil and thanks for your reply!..Yes i changed the material name and added the new texture to the track folder with the other dds files first before i edited the face of the tree.The new texture even shows up in 3dsimed in the isolated gmt scene!.. i have set the transparency to "simple" and ticked double sided with mip map ticked and nothing else!
I've just tried it again right now as i am typing this comment and ran the game and the tree has disappeared in the game now, so there is now a gap between the line of trees that i just changed!...thanks for the tip on darkening the texture i have paintshop pro and paint.net.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:07 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

only thing i can think of is the new material name you created may already be assigned to another tree.
Doesnt explain the missing tree, perhaps an alpha error?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:42 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

with alpha is it always set to 1 or can there be another value? say 2 or even 3?...i like the method that guys like "the lonely" do with two textures in the one tree!....one texture is set to "simple" for transparency and the other to multiply transparency giving the object its full graphical clear image!...i'm running out of options here?....all i want to do is break up the same color tone of the group of trees in a gmt and make them look more natural.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:04 pm 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Are you placing the new tree gmt files inside new mas files??
or
Are you placing the loose gmt files somewhere inside the track folder??

In either case, the game will use the first gmt files it encounters based on the search criteria listed at the top of the scn file.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:59 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

hi gfraser and thankyou for your reply!..yes i have all gmt's and dds files unpacked or open in the track folder of the track!...it seems to be an issue with the trees gmt's.i can isolate any object in the track like buildings or track walls etc and add new textures to those objects through the edit option of the top menu in 3dsimed.

Problem is,when i do the same technique to the trees gmt and add new tree textures ,the new textures in the trees dont show up in the game but they do in 3dsimed!...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:28 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

We do this for our league races quite often and it does work.
We replace objects and textures most often.
You would need to zip and upload your track project somewhere for someone here to figure out why it is not working for you.
Did you review the search lines in the scn file as suggested??
They should follow a sequence something like this:
CUBEASF
//-------------------------------------------------------
SearchPath=Mugello_SDI\sdiMugello\
SearchPath=Mugello_SDI\
SearchPath=.
//-------------------------------------------------------
MASFile=sdiMugello.MAS
MASFile=sdiMugelloMaps.MAS
MASFile=COMMONMAPS.MAS
//---------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:22 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

austmike,
as i said in my PM to you here a couple of days ago send me your trees or the track and i will try and fine the problem.

phil