It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problems Problems
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:26 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

I'm currently using a trial version of 3Dsimed 3 and encountering some problems.

Situation. Having built a track in BTB it was too large to export as one track, BTB having a limited size for exporting. So i saved the track in ten portions.

I them imported the first portion 'Track, walls, terrain & Skybox' with no problems. Them import several other files, Trees, String Objects, Buildings, Paddock etc.

Opening them up and using either 'All Visible' + 'Copy' or 'Copy All' before pasting into the first 'Track, walls, terrain & Skybox' the intention to copy and paste from each file to build up the completed track.

There appears to be what i assume is a clipboard memory point after which you can no longer copy and paste objects. I've tried to see how to clear this memory and there is no information on this. Which means i can only paste a fraction of the objects into my main 'Track, walls, terrain & Skybox' work in progress.

Can anyone explain how to clear the clipboard so copy and paste can resume?

Second problem.

Exporting/packing the work in progress file to a GTR2.GTR seems to create a folder with all the objects etc and a 3Dsimed Object file. when imported that file appears as completely magenta. I understand magenta means missing textures but the textures are not missing in the work in progress file before exporting to GTR2.GTR and the folder the GTR2.GTR is saved to has all the object files.

So in short. Opening a track file created in BTB, then trying to build that track by copy and paste encounters a clipboard memory problem which cannot be cleared, and trying to save the work in progress to a GTR2.GTR or 3Dsim object results in no textures.

I'm new to this, its taken me a lot of time to learn BTB and build this track, and now i'm trying to complete it in 3Dsim without any success, way too much time has been spent to just discard the work so would appreciate any advice.

1. How to clear clipboard memory
2. Best way to merge multiple 3Dsim files to form one track
3. Best way to save a work in progress to enable further editing

4. Also other than the Walk View, 3Dsim doesn't seem to have a drive feature which allows you to actually complete a full lap as with BTB. Or am i missing something?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Problems Problems
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Another thing. there doesn't seem to be any feature in 3Dsim for setting the AI racing line or cameras. I have the AIW and CAM files created by BTB so I'm assuming if i want to do multiple layouts i need to change the AI raceline and cameras in the original BTB and export as a new track ??

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:54 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Are you running on a 64-bit OS?, because although 3DSimED is 32-bit you do get near to 4GB if it's running on a 64-bit system.

I don't think the clipboard is the problem, it is more likely to be the undo stack so try using the Edit->Undo->Clear Undo Stack after each paste.

Are you exporting the textures to the same folder as the objects?, GMT files can only find textures in the same folder as they do not refer to textures by the full pathname.

You cannot edit AIW or CAM but 3DSimED can use the AIW to walk the track (View->Set View->Walk Viewing) if you import a .SCN that has a matching .AIW.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:16 am 
Jackman
Jackman

Thanks Dave for the quick response.

I'm running 64 bit
Also have a serious amount of available memory. I was managing to copy and past from three or four scenes but then eventually it would just stop copying, so assumed there was a limit to the clipboard.

I'll try the Edit>Undo>Clear Undo and see if that solves it.

Exporting, and magenta.

To clarify, I could not export the entire track from BTB as one because of size limitations with BTB. I'm therefore having to mesh the multiple layers together in 3Dsim to form one finished track. So the file in which i'm building the track in 3Dsim which is to be the final file i use to export/convert to use in GTR2 i'm referring to as 'work in progress' build. The multiple exports from BTB with sections of the track from which i'm copy>paste i shall call the 'serving' files.

I'm attempting to export/save the 'work in progress' as GTR2.GTR and 3Dsim is directing me into a folder and saving all the .GMT in that folder with the 3DSIM Object file it creates. The Original mas and tex folders are not in there. They are in multiple folders created by BTB in the folders associated with the 'serving' files' 3Dsim object. Being the 3Dsim objects i imported and from which i copy>paste the objects from the 'serving' files into the 'work in progress' build.

I've built the intended track in BTB in several 'serving' files as mentioned, so I'm importing the objects from them i.e all trees from one file, all buildings from another etc... into my 'work in progress' build. But the objects in each 'serving' file are not named, they were just given numbers by BTB when i originally exported the track. obj_1.gmt upward. I'm copy>paste the objects into the 'work in progress' build but as each 'serving' file (trees, buildings, auxillery, etc) has objects named obj_1.gmt obj-2 obj-3 etc. the final 'work in progress' build now has multiple obj_1.gmt obj-2 obj-3 etc...

If the 'work in progress' has eight obj_1.gmt that is not duplicates of the same object, but rather the first obj_1.gmt is a tree whist another obj.1.gmt may be a tyre stack, and so on. I had assumed the texture was compressed into the object.gmt by BTB when initially exported, and that when i copy and paste all the trees into the 'work in progress' build, followed by all the buildings, people, etc, that 3Dsim recognizes they are different objects being copy>paste and renames them in some way???? Sorry maybe i've been naive, I'm very new to this.

Does this mean i have to rename ALL the objects in the 'serving' file before copy>paste them into the 'work in progress' file? Or rename them after i copy>paste them in? There's THOUSANDS... that would take forever. Don't think i have that amount of patience. Is there a quick way to do this?

From some quick research i realize Dave that you're the developer of 3Dsim. Please note that until a couple of weeks ago photoshop and coreldraw was all i knew, so skinning cars, building 3ds, and tracks has been a steep learning curve and it's still feeling a lot like learning mandarin or cantonese from Edmund Hillary right now. Feel free to reply to me like you're explaining it to a five year old.

LAYOUTS

I may have to come back to you on that one, once i've successfully built the first layout.

Thanks again for the advice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:33 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Clear Undo Stack hasn't solved the copy>paste problem.

Each time i seem to be able to copy>paste from about four files and then it stops. Even after clearing undo stack file following each paste, it will no longer function.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Well you must be getting to the limits of what 3DSimED can do. It's main strengths are on converting data, not so much the editing.

One last hope might be to use the File->Import As Objects (if you exported from BTB as .GMT) otherwise you are going to need an editor such as Blender or 3DS Max as you must have a very large model.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:41 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Hi Dave.

Please forgive the probably stupid questions. I've downloaded blender and a trail version of 3DS Max 2018.... (feel like i've jumped into the deeper deep end).

Have tried exporting from 3DsimED by saving to 3ds (selecting the 8.3 textures option crucial for 3DSMax) but after importing the 3ds to 3DSMax/Blender the scenes are all grey. I can switch to mesh, bounding boxes, etc, but no textures are shown.

Any advice / tips?

(Other than CTR-ALT-DEL and start again).

BTW... If i manage to successful compile everything into one track, how do i then save/export it to be used in GTR2. Do i import it back from 3DSMax/Blender into 3DSimED and then export to GTR2? Will it be beyond the limits of 3DSimED ?

Dave Noonan wrote:
Well you must be getting to the limits of what 3DSimED can do. .

That appears to be.

I can successfully combine objects from no more than three of the BTB exported 3DsimED objects. Often the third or fourth copy & Paste may paste just a few odd items but not everything copied. Is there a maximum MB size for any given scene/track?

I didn't think the track i've built is particularly huge compared to some i've downloaded from No Grip which have far more detail/objects. I've used very little in the way of sketch up 3ds models as they seem to suck up MB, most of what i've added has been from pre existing xpacks or 3ds i've built and i've kept the kb size of the objects down as much as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

From memory, the grey render is because 3DS Max cannot read the textures so I think you will need the .DDS plugin (if your textures are DDS).

I really don't know how big your track is but on a 64-bit OS 3DSimED should be able to use up to 4GB.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Dave Noonan wrote:
on a 64-bit OS 3DSimED should be able to use up to 4GB

It's broken up into eight separate layers, ranging between 50mb and 175mb. Roughly 650 MB in total.

Generally I try to open the larger file first 175MB then copy and paste smaller layers of 50 - 80 MB into it. I seem to be able to copy paste about 300 MB into the first layer before it stops ( even when clearing the Undo stack after each paste)

Will try importing at objects but i was told ( on another forum) i'll have to drop all the textures into one folder and rename them all first as 3ds struggle with textures.