It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't deserve any award for my debacle. I'll post what I wrote to Chris..."I really can't explain the abysmal crap I pulled on the first lap. I crashed out on the corner before Masta...not even halfway around the track. I don't have any explanation for it...it wasn't cold tires, nobody pushed me off, I didn't lose control, my framerate didn't drop and it wasn't the jitters...I just completely blew the corner to such an extent that I crashed into the crowd and haybales on the OUTSIDE of the corner...I didn't even make the corner." I really don't have any explanation for it...while I knew I wasn't fast enough to compete for the overall win, I was pretty comfortable with the car and the track and anticipated having a pretty good race.

Following this first crash which heavily damaged the car despite the lower damage, I then plowed it again several times trying to get back to the pits, each time damaging it worse and worse.

I wasn't completely disgusted at my self just yet, as I was going to get fixed and carry on...

I finally crabbed back to the pits whereupon I discovered that I hadn't mapped a 'pit request' key to anything. At least I'm presuming that was my problem, because I never got a stall nor any pit guys, so I never was able to get fixed and finally had to exit after lap one.

Now I was completely disgusted with myself... :doh: :cuss: :tantrum: :banghead:

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

Yes, but you drove back to the pits. A lot of people would have ESCaped.

One of the things I found out during practice was that you had to request a pit stop, or the computer had to have it set up and ready via your race plan, in order for the crew to show. I thought I might get a penalty because late in the race the computer had me set up for a pit stop and I ran over the yellow pit line-- i.e. collided with the XPitIn GMT. Fortunately I was "on" pit road for such a short time it didn't register the speeding penalty. I cycled to my normal driving info screen after that and all was well.

My dry eyes session started during practice and qualifying. I got a bowl of water and some paper towels and dabbed my eyes with water continually until the start of the race. I didn't have an episode during the race, but the bowl of water was right there beside the wheel.

"And now there remains only one final question. Have you been naughty or nice?"-- Death, Hogfather

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Results, and Replay. (may have to do a right-click, "save as" to get the replay correctly).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:33 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

First off thanks to Jan for hosting this race! It was a really fun combo for my first race back in sim-racing in almost 2 years.

Well done John for winning and Andrew for the podium as well as James for surviving! I'll have to run TPTCC in the winter.

I decided to start last so as to not muck up anyone's start and just chilled for the first 15 minutes and managed to get to 4th. I tried to catch up to the front 3 and well, they were too fast on pure pace! I decided to try and save fuel but I was going to end up three laps short on a no stopper and wasn't going to be able to save fuel and tires while trying to stay ahead of John so I decided might as well pit with about 35 mins left and then cruised to the finish.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:11 pm 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

Running the race without stopping seems doable, fuel-wise, if that was your strategy from the start. A race pace averaging 3:38.19 per lap would take just over two hours at 33 laps completed. Anything faster would have required 34 laps to complete. Fuel consumption for 33 laps at two hours is 1.8 gallons per lap-- 1.75 gallons per lap for 34 laps. Both of those figures would leave about a half gallon of fuel at the end of run, starting with a full 60 gallons.

I ran a quick test, putting in 5.5 gallons and lengthening 2nd-5th gears on my set up. I ran an out lap and two timed laps pretty much in the style I ran in the race. I completed all three laps, with the tail end of 0.1 gallons left as I crossed the line at the end of the third lap. Heck, it could have tripped to 0.0. My two timed laps were 3:40.19 and 3:39.95. The second timed lap could have been faster, but I may have started to sputter towards the end. Further refinement of the set up could result in improved fuel consumption and/or speed.

As for tires, I know I had less than one notch of wear on any tire running 17 to 18 laps. I don't know how fast the wear would be once that first notch was achieved.

"And now there remains only one final question. Have you been naughty or nice?"-- Death, Hogfather

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:19 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Ah, yea my problem was pushing for about 30 minutes which ruined that chance.

And the tires seemed to really go off right before my stop which was about 2 notches of wear and about 22 laps in.