It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:56 pm 
Driver
Driver

I've edited the original Indianapolis for using the V8 indycar mod and its great. But the ai keep wrecking. I've got it about as good as I can get it, but the ai often goes 3 wide and squeezes in where they shouldn't be and that causes a big wreck.

I've seen .ini's for talladega that makes the cars go 3 wide and such. Well how do I make them NOT go 3 wide?

I've been reading here what the settings do, but after spending hours on this I still can't fix it.
http://www.nrtracks.com/nr2k3/make_ai_a ... ack_Folder

Is it even possible to not have wrecks at indy the way I have it with the AI not having to lift? I hope so.

I attached the ini I have so far for anyone who cares.

Attachments:
Indy INI.zip [8.22 KiB]
Downloaded 103 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:46 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

First of all, what series (cup, pta, etc.) physics is your V8 indycar mod using?
I'm guessing it's pta since that ai_track section has some misplaced lines.

General information:
The lines,
ai_track_tire_heat = 0.75
ai_track_tire_wear = 1.05
ai_track_tire_wear_loss=0.14
ai_track_tire_wear_exponent=1.05
ai_track_asphalt_grip = 2.10
ai_track_concrete_grip = 2.05,
don't belong in the [ ai_track_pta ]. You need to add a [ track_pta ] section to use those values and name them properly, track_tire_heat = xxx, etc. By default, the exe will use any line/value from [ track ] and [ ai_track ] (which are cup sections) in the track.ini that aren't in one of the other series sections. Example: 1) if [ track ] track_tire_heat = 1.50, and there is no [ track_pta ] section or track_tire_heat value in that section, you and the ai will use the [ track ] track_tire_heat = 1.50 value; 2) if [ ai_track ] ai_squeeze_pcnt = 0.50, and there is no ai_squeeze_pcnt = x.xx line in [ ai_track_pta ], the ai will use the [ ai_track ] value, so if you don't want the ai to use that value, then you have to add the line ai_squeeze_pcnt and attach a different value.

Specifically, I don't see anything in the [ ai_track_pta ] track.ini values that would suggest there is much more to gained (or restricted, if you will). Also, there's no magic track.ini bullet that can "fix" every ai tendency and/or problem. The track.ini fine tunes the exe's interpretation of the race.lp. The secondary lp's, min/maxrace and min/maxpanic, allow or restrict how far the ai can move laterally from the race.lp.
You might try increasing ai_dlat_pad = 0.85 (current value), but I've run it well above 1.00 and it has negligible effect, whereas lowering the value can get more passing action.
Lowering ai_line_modifier = 0.99 down to 0.95 - 0.90 might back them up a little going into a corner, but at the expense of raising their overall laptimes. You'd have to either raise ai_grip_modifier, or raise the ai opponent strength to keep the ai lapping at their previous pace.
Speaking of ai_grip_modifier, the pta value is 2.20, yet the value in the other series is 1.00 and 1.01. Since you seem to be happy with the ai performance, that kinda leads me to think that either the original track.ini is way outta whack, which isn't necessarily improbable, or the race.lp is not the original. Regardless, about the only way to discourage passing is to have a narrower racing path. Make the minrace and maxrace lp's so they're closer together as they near the corner. How close? Trial and error, but have it narrowed early enough on the straight or there'll still be pinching. Have the minpanic and maxpanic lp's at least a lane wider on each side to allow the ai "an out" if they get pinched by the narrowing path. You won't stop all the incidents, but they should be reduced in regularity and severity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:19 am 
Driver
Driver

Thank you for the in depth feedback! Im not concerned with the tire wear right now, but thanks for pointing that out. To be honest, I copied the whole Indy Revamped ini and pasted it in the default Indy ini (since default Indy has no pta section and I figured Revamped Reloaded knew what they were doing with adding more grip to their tracks).

I changed some more things again. Lets see how that works. There is an OWR Indy. (I forgot all about it) I'm gonna try that one and see what its like.

That last sentence made the most sense, but how do I edit the LP's?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:21 am 
Driver
Driver

TheEgg wrote:
Thank you for the in depth feedback! Im not concerned with the tire wear right now, but thanks for pointing that out. To be honest, I copied the whole Indy Revamped ini and pasted it in the default Indy ini (since default Indy has no pta section and I figured Revamped Reloaded knew what they were doing with adding more grip to their tracks).

I changed some more things again. Lets see how that works. There is an OWR Indy. (I forgot all about it) I'm gonna try that one and see what its like.

Hows the track doing for you?

When it comes to the track.ini, there are 2 things I work with to try to get the cars to rub and beat and bang so I figure if we go the opposite way with them, we can get the AI to quit crashing as much! :hyper:

ai_dlat_pad = 1.0 ; How much of a lateral pad between cars (wheel to wheel, smaller means they'll rub, bigger means they will try to keep more distance between cars)
ai_squeeze_pcnt = 0.0 ; How likely the AI is to try to fit where it can't (bigger number will try to fit where they can'ts)

Check those numbers and play with them a bit.

-----------------------------------------

You can edit the LP by using Reflap in game but first, use it to find out where the lines are.

Quick Reference Keys

Enable/Disable reflap editing ctrl-shift-alt-`
Toggle stashing alt-r
Save working reflap to disk ctrl-/
Splice/copy to working reflap /
Set start splice point [
Set end splice point ]
Clear splice points \
Decrease smooth time ctrl-"-"
Increase smooth time ctrl-"="
Select previous AI line ctrl-[
Select next AI line ctrl-]
Copy from AI line ctrl-\
Toggle temp/work lines ctrl-` yellow/orange
Toggle AI race line ctrl-0 green
Toggle AI min race line ctrl-1 dark green
Toggle AI max race line ctrl-2 dark green
Toggle AI pit0 line ctrl-3 red
Toggle AI min pit0 line ctrl-4 dark red
Toggle AI max pit0 line ctrl-5 dark red
Toggle AI pit1 line ctrl-6 blue
Toggle AI min pit1 line ctrl-7 dark blue
Toggle AI max pit1 line ctrl-8 dark blue
Toggle AI min/max panic lines ctrl-9 purple

It's going to seem confusing at first but since we're looking for the minrace and maxrace, get into the game, into the car and once in, hit ctrl+alt+shft+`
Then hit ctrl+1, ctrl+2 and ctrl+0

You should now see the different lines that AI will attempt to run.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:29 am 
Driver
Driver

TheEgg wrote:

Hows the track doing for you?

When it comes to the track.ini, there are 2 things I work with to try to get the cars to rub and beat and bang so I figure if we go the opposite way with them, we can get the AI to quit crashing as much! :hyper:

ai_dlat_pad = 1.0 ; How much of a lateral pad between cars (wheel to wheel, smaller means they'll rub, bigger means they will try to keep more distance between cars)
ai_squeeze_pcnt = 0.0 ; How likely the AI is to try to fit where it can't (bigger number will try to fit where they can'ts)

Check those numbers and play with them a bit.

-----------------------------------------

You can edit the LP by using Reflap in game but first, use it to find out where the lines are.

Quick Reference Keys

Enable/Disable reflap editing ctrl-shift-alt-`
Toggle stashing alt-r
Save working reflap to disk ctrl-/
Splice/copy to working reflap /
Set start splice point [
Set end splice point ]
Clear splice points \
Decrease smooth time ctrl-"-"
Increase smooth time ctrl-"="
Select previous AI line ctrl-[
Select next AI line ctrl-]
Copy from AI line ctrl-\
Toggle temp/work lines ctrl-` yellow/orange
Toggle AI race line ctrl-0 green
Toggle AI min race line ctrl-1 dark green
Toggle AI max race line ctrl-2 dark green
Toggle AI pit0 line ctrl-3 red
Toggle AI min pit0 line ctrl-4 dark red
Toggle AI max pit0 line ctrl-5 dark red
Toggle AI pit1 line ctrl-6 blue
Toggle AI min pit1 line ctrl-7 dark blue
Toggle AI max pit1 line ctrl-8 dark blue
Toggle AI min/max panic lines ctrl-9 purple

It's going to seem confusing at first but since we're looking for the minrace and maxrace, get into the game, into the car and once in, hit ctrl+alt+shft+`
Then hit ctrl+1, ctrl+2 and ctrl+0

You should now see the different lines that AI will attempt to run.