It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Can I have a detailed explanation for this block of code? I have a few guesses on what they are.

Code:
BrakeDiscRange=(0.0254, 0.000, 1)   // disc thickness
BrakeDiscSetting=0
BrakePadRange=(0, 1, 5)             // pad type (not implemented)
BrakePadSetting=2
BrakeDiscInertia=0.715              // inertia per meter of thickness
BrakeOptimumTemp=250.0              // optimum brake temperature in Celsius (peak brake grip)
BrakeFadeRange=650.0                // temperature outside of optimum that brake grip drops to half (too hot or too cold)
BrakeWearRate=1.207e-011            // meters of wear per second at optimum temperature
BrakeFailure=(1.33e-002,7.21e-004)  // average and variation in disc thickness at failure
BrakeTorque=3000.0                  // maximum brake torque at zero wear and optimum temp
BrakeHeating=0.00060                // heat added linearly with brake torque times wheel speed (at max disc thickness)
BrakeCooling=(3.660e-002,4.630e-004)  // minimum brake cooling rate (base and per unit velocity) (at max disc thickness)
BrakeDuctCooling=1.180e-004         // brake cooling rate per brake duct setting (at max disc thickness)

I know what this is.
Code:
BrakeDiscRange=(0.0254, 0.000, 1)   // disc thickness
BrakeDiscSetting=0

I don't think I need this.
Code:
BrakePadRange=(0, 1, 5)             // pad type (not implemented)
BrakePadSetting=2

If I increase this, it takes longer to stop, right?
Code:

This must be some sort of exponential slope. Are any real brakes that resilient to this sort of abuse?
Code:
BrakeOptimumTemp=250.0              // optimum brake temperature in Celsius (peak brake grip)
BrakeFadeRange=650.0                // temperature outside of optimum that brake grip drops to half (too hot or too cold)

I take it that this value increases exponentially based on the previous two values?
Code:
BrakeWearRate=1.207e-011            // meters of wear per second at optimum temperature

These values are in meters right? Seems to be about half of the initial brake disk size.
Code:
BrakeFailure=(1.33e-002,7.21e-004)  // average and variation in disc thickness at failure

Does this value change exponentially with temperature? Does it change linearly with wear?
Code:
BrakeTorque=3000.0                  // maximum brake torque at zero wear and optimum temp

This seems self-explanatory, but does it increase with brake wear? If so, what's the formula?
Code:
BrakeHeating=0.00060                // heat added linearly with brake torque times wheel speed (at max disc thickness)

This seems self-explanatory, but is it increased linearly or exponentially?
Code:
BrakeCooling=(3.660e-002,4.630e-004)  // minimum brake cooling rate (base and per unit velocity) (at max disc thickness)

This appears to be some sort of modifier.
Code:
BrakeDuctCooling=1.180e-004         // brake cooling rate per brake duct setting (at max disc thickness)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've asked Jim to see if he can come in and help answer your questions...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:24 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 pm 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

[quote="TCR_500"]If I increase this, it takes longer to stop, right?
Theoretically yes, but the contribution of the disc inertia is miniscule compared with the mass of the whole car.
Code:

This must be some sort of exponential slope. Are any real brakes that resilient to this sort of abuse?
Could be, I don't know for sure, I assumed it was linear.
Code:

These values are in meters right? Seems to be about half of the initial brake disk size.
Yes, meters.
Code:

The other questions you ask are about how the rFactor physics engine calculates some things. There is little documentation beyond the comments included in the files - sorry, I don't have the answers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 am 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Well, for the answers you could provide, thanks.