It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: nr2003 map making.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:31 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

So I've been searching for 3 days now... (seriously I really didn't want to sign up for a small post in a forum to build up the database and bother everyone) but after no luck whats so ever I'm hoping to get a link or just some kind of information.

So I made a track from a road I use to travel. Reason being it was windy, and had alot of steep hills and valleys with cliffs in spots. I mean if they actually "rally" raced here it just wouldn't happen. But when i was in my teens I loved the road lots of windy curves with brake and acceleration threw the entire route. Anyhow, 70km later (roughly on sandbox the track is nearing its completion untill it dawned upon me.

Am I way over my head.

I have about 7 links saved with multiple links of tutorials within those links. (ex. http://thepits.us/board/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=114) very awesome forum!

Anyhow when i searched youtube and all, everyone showed or taught how to build and design the track, and pits.

What about the map underneath?

In sandbox its done easily by turning a bmp to a mip and adjust, background image, etc. (found that in the forum too)

So how would you design the environment of the track???

PS Also i tried to unpack (ex Atlanta) then used multiple sandbox to try to open wouldn't let me.... (i kinda figured i was limbing it) could i open a ptf file with sketchup, 3dstudio max(i hate i hate i hate) or 3dsimsED? Can these programs create the environment or terrain of the map?

Post subject: Re: nr2003 map making.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:01 pm 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

It's a bit difficult to understand what exactly you are asking. It has been +10 years since I bothered with N2k3 stuff, so generally this might apply, the specifics may have fogged away. In n2k3 you have the drivable surface, Walls, Horizon, Infield and Track Side Objects. Everything is located from the ptf (open with sandbox). The ptf locates the drivable surface centerline and the offsets from that centerline for surface/material edges. It also tells what objects are instanced and where their position and orientation is. IIRC the Horizon/Infield are automatically placed/referenced. The actual TSO are file type 3do (3D Objects). Since you've been playing in sandbox, I'm guessing you are asking about TSO's? They were most easily built in 3dsmax. N2k3 objects aren't simply a mesh, they contain a hierarchical structure to them that define LOD and other game specific things (State_Switches). I had a program I could use to look at the structure, don't remember the name. It was easiest to: open a file from papy, note its structure, then rebuild my object with similar structure. I might have been using RaceCon or ModelX, but that might have been the workflow prior to sandbox being publicly released. After sandbox it got easier once you learned psg script. It was basically build object in 3d, export PAS objects and assemble structure with make3do as defined by your PSG. In my sandbox install there was a docs folder with some helpful info. Note that the PAS plugin for max is for version 2.5 (lolz oooold!), good luck getting that to run in something current. 3dsimed is probably your best bet for 3do building nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:55 am 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

This might be a good idea to follow http://www.simracingdesign.com/threads/ ... ion.50817/
There's a pas plugin for max 6 that works in max 8, not sure about more recent versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:37 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Okay thanks for the replies but i am still not quite sure what to make of it unless i completely started out wrong (very good chance first track mess up.

These are three picture and i will explain.
#1 is about 20 - 30 kms of the current track built...
#2 is the track it self (when watching tutorial on youtube they make the track I have made from outside to the middle the grass, to dirt, dirt to shoulder, shoulder to road, road to paint. Like a really canadian 2 way roads, and im almost certain the measurements are close (i litterally measured the width of the road, shoulder etc. ) i'm a little off on the dirt thought. anyhow!
#3 This is where i will probably complicated everything to you guys, so you half see the background picture on the display( my mouse has highlighted and dropped the boxed down. This is "background" apparently is just a so called helper and will not be used in the game to make the real background, environment, horizon, etc. its just there as a sandbox helper. So my question is how do i make the ground where there is no driving surface????

(If i didnt extend the driving surface out some there are sports where the apron or edge of driving area would be a cliff. )

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=3 ... hoto%2cbmp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:56 am 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

You can widen the track a bit (moving the outmost x-sections and f-sections out some) but usually Papy made most of the surrounding terrain (hills etc) with 3do's.
The most likely reason you can't open the original tracks is that you don't have a shared (with all the files from shared.dat) folder together with your sandbox track. Use winmip2 to unpack the shared.dat (in nr2k3/tracks/shared), rename the Unpack folder to shared and place it alongside the trackfolder of the track you're making and you should be able to open the originals :) (maybe with the exception of one of the Bristol tracks, have a vague memory that something didn't work there)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:56 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

I did unpack the shared files actually (the shared.DAT file and it took me a while to get winmip working because of windows 7 {3 day delay lol}) and I did move the folder out. I think in my case I'm going to have to make multiple .3do files, because the track I'm making (in reality its 72kms I may have to remake the file because the scaling is improper and I'm very very picky. ) I don't like how its not working out. Anyhow should I break up the 3dos in 5 kms stretches out of curiosity.

Which program would you recommend?
Should I make the entire track (racing surface and walls) first then import? ( with elevation completed?)
Is there any tricks once its in the program for creating terrain?

And yes exactly this track has a lot of elevation and corning when its complete I can almost guarentee one of the most difficult tracks. The real road is actually located near Saint John, NB. I thought it would be an awesome rally, gtr, possibly hornet fantasy track.

Thanks for the awesome info guys. I use to play tmuf, but its a lot more falsified compared to this stuff. Oldy but a goody and they're hard to come by.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:25 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

I use an old version of max but it seems like the guy you should talk to about different programs is Mystical from the thread I linked, seems he has tried a lot of them :)
As for splitting the surroundings 3do up, that's a big - Yes definitely. If you don't the entire 3do will be drawn all the time and it'll kill your fps. If it's split up you can have the parts not show up until they're "needed" which will help a lot.