It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 5:58 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

I have started a few conversions of our ASTG tracks from 2k3. I figured maybe its might help everyone out, will its own post, so everyone has an idea of whats going on. Anyone that can pitch in, please do. I have the basic concept down, but by no means a pro at this. So here goes...

What you need... 3dsimed, Winmip, Trackmaker, and your 2k3 track you made. I suggest having a copy of this track, to be on the safe side. With Winmip (and possibly simed) unpack the dat file into your 2k3 folder. Then copy or move all those files into your main track folder. Why, because your track might need some of the shared files. Now all the files are in the main folder, open up trackmaker.

Click Nascar ptf to xml, and find the track your going to convert. Me, im using cmp.ptf. Open, then just save it in the same track folder. It creates an XML file, which tells trkmkr whats up. Open the your xml file, (mine cmp.xm) and now click on mesh. Here is where the new poly count comes in. Someone might be able explain this section better, but, from my understanding, this tells TM what pattern for the polys. In the Long column put a 3, all the way down. In the Lat column put a 5. All done, click write Rfactor, and I suggest dropping all these files in a new folder.

What we just did was basically create the tracks layout. If you click on the _trkmaker file in your new folder you will see your layout, all nice and pink. No 3do's or textures, so now time to play with that.

Last edited by NSRSFreew67 on Wed May 31, 2006 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:14 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

You can close trackmaker, and open up 3dsimed. There are 2 ways to get the textures. Open the ptf file in simed, and export the textures, but you will get all the mip files for it. Which is fine, then you only get the files that are needed. Then since you have do this part anyways, this is sometimes a little easier. Just depends if you dont have a ton of extra files in your folder or not. In simed, under tools, click texture browser. Go find your 2k3 track folder, and all the mips should show up. Click on batch conversion, highlight all the mip files, click open, dot tga, ok, then drop those files into the folder you droped the trkmaker files in. All converted right, a pop up Finished! will show. Congrats almost home.

Take a peek, click on the _trkmaker file, looks like a track now. Its 3do time. Double click your ptf file and open in 3dsimed. Track will take a min, but should load. You will now see all your 3dos in the track. Head up to file, save as rfactor, save objects. Point that to the new folder also. This will spit out all the 3dos as gmts and give you an output file.

Here is where it gets a little interesting. We have already converted all the textures, and the 3dos. Click on the output file, and you might have some files showing up as pink. Usually that means those files are in the shared folder. One idea if to create a new folder, and batch convert your entire shared folder to tgas. Export your track objects to the new folder. Open up the output file in simed. Now export your textures to your new rf track folder. Some will be pink, dont worry, when you open the output folder in simed, most in not all will show now.

Ok, I see everything, but where is the track? Open up the trkmaker file in notepad or wordpad. Edit, select all, copy, close. Now open output in note or wordpad, and paste that in the top. Close and open the output in simed. Now, it should look like your track. Congrats, you just converted a 2k3 track to RF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:50 pm 
Driver
Driver

All we need now is some more cow bell and I think we will soon have a tutorial winning post. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:33 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

I can only add, is to try to get Photoshop or something with a DDS plugin to convert those TGA's....Big File size difference.

Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:14 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

With simed its a quick fix to just get it working. Once track is up and running, then can mess with the textures. Simed is just a quick texture converter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:58 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

First of all I'd like to say thank you for this tutorial. I have been looking for a while, without sucess, for a conversion tutorial that I could understand.

I have been working on converting a track I made for N2k3 and I think I've figured it out for the most part. I've gotten the track to show up in the track list menu and it'll start to load and I'll get an error like this;

...and I'll go into the shared file and find the object in question and convert it and put it in the mas file.

But after doing that successfully a few times I'm now getting this error that I don't understand:

BTW I'm a complete noob at converting tracks so I apologise if this is a stupid question.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:02 pm 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

Go to the Edit/ Material Editing and change the texture for the *generated by default* material (first in the list) from ".tga" to anything. I think I knew of a way to get rid of the *generated by default* material reference, but if I did, I've forgotten how.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:07 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Markmartinfan, no problem, and I feel your pain. I have read over some tutorials, and if I would have stayed in school, and got my nuclear scientist degree, I might have been able

I have had that happen to me, and a quick fix I did was just rename the "gen by default" to test or whatever you want. Then I assigned a tga to it, just to shut the error up, and should work then. Dont hurt to have a bright color tga (pink or yellow), on stand by, then assign it to the error, to find what didnt convert properly. When it happened to me, there was no texture assigned to it. Its possible it might have just been a burp in the conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:02 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

Traveller wrote:
I think I knew of a way to get rid of the *generated by default* material reference, but if I did, I've forgotten how.

Texture names can not contain a * so rename the material to anything else. I just call it gbd.
Assign any texture to this material. It must have a texture assigned, but it doesn't matter which.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:48 am 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Well I said I was a noob and I'm probably going to prove it with my next questions.

I don't see a file named generated_by_default.

Is the game saying it can't find the texture for a material but it won't say which?

OR Is it saying it's missing something but doesn't know what?

or am I just way off?

BTW I don't have 3d max or Zmodeler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:25 am 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

In 3DSimEd, go to Edit/ Material Editing. "*Generated_by_default*" will be the first material listed (3DSimEd's astericks, not mine). The original texture associated with the material is ".tga"-- (i.e. just the dot and file extension, no name). Select "*Generated_by_default*" and click the Edit button on the right-hand side of the Material Editing screen. The texture name will be written in a button towards the upper left-hand corner of the next window. Click that button, then browse and select the new texture. Click Apply or Okay (or whatever is there) all the way out until all windows are closed.

dB, I meant that I thought I found the way to get rid of the "*Generated_by_default*" material period. Either finding what causes it during the conversion (from PTF or 3DO) and fixing the PTF (or 3DO) so that it doesn't show up or, after conversion (maybe as early as in TRKMaker), finding out what it is and removing it at that point. Either way, to the best of my recollection, Milano (or some of the other tracks I converted right after Dave's programs were released) had it to start with, but has it no longer. But that was at least eight months ago. I've forgotten what it was, so it shows up in a newly converted track now. Thanks for the tip though. I'll see if the astericks in the material name are causing the problem I'm having with the current track I'm playing with-- I've set "grass.tga" as it's texture. ...some time passes, include a hardware reset... Well, that didn't turn out too good.