It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

raichiotto wrote:
How big was the template for that car you posted Jan?

Heh, heh...

Here's a TPTCC Alain Menu Renault Laguna from the 1997 BTCC.

Considering the size, and the fact that we could only use a specific 256 color palette, it didn't turn out bad...

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 pm 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

That's an AWESOME read there, Jan.. I'll be completely honest in saying that I knew 99% of what you posted, but thought it would be interesting for the community in general to understand how The Pits came to be and all that took place since it's inception.. I'm always amazed when I look back through the history of some of the more well-known sites and even those that might not be well-known but have been around for very long periods of time..

Can't wait for Part II.. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jan Kohl wrote:
In 1997, a certain Norwegian emailed Jed and I, and asked if he could provide a continental Europe mirror, the Norway Pits. This site came online at http://www.arctic.no/thepits/. It has a few technical problems at first, but Goy got them sorted out and the Norway Pits was born.....

....and I'm still here, sorta. As the Eagles said, you can check out any time you like but you can never leave.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:26 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Nice read people, Keep em coming.
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:51 pm 
Driver
Driver

I remember The Norway Pits and ICCCARS. I started racing back with AOL and HAWAII. My name was Pushnit then. Not many remember me from then.....Many don't know me now.

I did'nt contribute much but I sure asked ALOT of questions and DL'd bunches.

I still have my original Nascar Racing CD with the official track pack disk to go with it....The NASCAR racing wheel too. At the time, I built a "state of the art" DX4 100Mhz machine just to play it. Brand new 56k modem to go with it.

Good stuff right here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:27 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Quote:
Dave Reuille of IWCCCARS and his own N1 site - Woof Motorsports

Yup , I sure did. I remember when Sim Cyberworld was 1 tracks and eight cars. I hooked up with a bunch of people, mainly my car painting skills were what got me membership in a few sites - IWCCCARS, Sim Project , BSDR Track Editing, Cav Editing, Design Tech Helped With CR3 Motorsports and a few other places as well. For many a year, I had just about the only N1 site on the internet. But when Geo-cities & Yahphooey merged, they killed my site along with allot of other good Sim racing sites.

Currently I paint N3 trucks and cars, still dabble in track editing a tad for N1, ICR2 and N3. As the picture says................. Sim Racing Since 1994.

Attachments:
temp logo.jpg
temp logo.jpg [ 52.37 KiB | Viewed 3147 times ]

I'm still reloading.................

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:44 am 
Jackman
Jackman

Considering it was around 10:30 when I started, and now it is past 12:30, I kinda have to post at least a small reply.

Never was a major competitor in the online racing scene, but reading through this thread brings back a ton of memories. I drove way back in the day in offline racing (Yep, the pre-Hawaii days) in the Internet Grand National and before that, Internet Touring Car Championship. Barely did much besides be a backmarker, but it was a lot of fun, and gave me a chance to do some racing, before I got hooked on a lot of other things. My force feedback wheel now sits in a corner, gathering dust. Definitely have to dust it off and see if it still works.

Nowadays, I've moved halfway across the country from where I was, held (and lost) multiple jobs, and have found another gaming passion that has taken me places I never expected. I play with the old Battletech pods (used to be in Dave and Busters), and am going back to college to finally get the degree I never got, but should have.

I wasn't a major part of the Online Racing scene, but I certainly remember a lot of the names in this thread. Good times.

Dave "Diablo Whump" McBride

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:25 pm 
Legendary Driver
Legendary Driver

Ian Grant wrote:
Does anyone remember SODA Off Road Racing?  Thats a game I don't see mentioned anymore, but probably should be.  That was Papy's first venture into the physics fidelity that we have come to know them by.  That was a year before GPL if memory serves...  Graphics were pretty terrible even by the standards of the day, I assume to free up CPU loads for the physics engine.  Good times!

ROTFLMAO........ SODA won't even run WELL on my current machine (winXP, so not its not a windows issue). I tried it! Its based on the same concept as other old games where everything goes to the cpu, nothing to the gpu

I loved it running it on an old 286....... but yeah, it was hard on fps.

From what I remember reading papy bought soda to get those physics to make gpl. Dave K. didn't "make" GPL physics....... he bought it. Of course, Bill Gates' company doesn't make much either....... doesn't mean he's not a success.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:13 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Mike Carver & Richard Montgomry still have their site up. I can't believe I saved this link. (Did someone mention this already? I'm getting old and lazy).

http://www.kazart.com/autosim/ppg97.htm

I think a lot a guys my age and older would say it started with Soap Box Derby Racing and Slot cars...at least it did for me. We would tear apart, rebuild, rewind motors...much like what is now done on the computer today.

My first computer sim was called simply F1 (I think) running on an IBM 8088 clone with a whopping 4 colors, then 16 colors. That was around 1985,6,7.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:33 pm 
Jackman
Jackman

Some are still around supporting N2k3, even after 13+ years but never seem to even get a mention because their hated so much.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6