It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:06 am 
Driver
Driver

To make a long story short, purchased r-Factor, installed it on both of my computers. Main computer hard drives were getting old and needed to reformat, tried to use the onboard raid 5 software, got it up and had r-Factor reinstalled. The software fails, i'm forced to get a raid 5 controller and had to reformat again. Backup computer's hard drive fails, getting frustrated with the problems I fully update the computer with a new motherboard, processor and hard drives.

$ 1,100 dollars later and working my tail off to get both computers back up I go to reinstall r-Factor, and what do I get but a message from Trymedia saying that your three renewals have been used up!

So I sent a nice email to Trymedia telling them what has happened and we shall see what their reply is.

This is my only gripe about purchasing software over the net and we have no CD or key-code when computers fail or when you just need to reformat.

I will post the return email when I get it back from Trymedia, hopefully all goes well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:00 am 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Hope it all goes well.

I had to use one new code when I did a reformat, even backed up the trymedia files to save having to get a new code and it still had me re-activate. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:17 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I've reinstalled 5 times. Never had to pay a penny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:32 am 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

bafranksbro wrote:
Hope it all goes well.

I had to use one new code when I did a reformat, even backed up the trymedia files to save having to get a new code and it still had me re-activate. :(

I've re-fomatted twice since buying rFactor, Darn kids downloading crap :evil: I used the save the trymedia folder and did not need to use an activation key.

I'm sure you'll get a new key before too long, as long as you have proof of purchase

Seems most who are having trouble have major computer problems to begin with. staighten your PC's out before installing the game :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:34 am 
Driver
Driver

Vader,

You have probably already been here, but just in case, check this thread and see if there might be a fix you can use.

Good Luck, Coast

forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=227385

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:38 am 
Driver
Driver

Suncoast wrote:
Vader,

You have probably already been here, but just in case, check this thread and see if there might be a fix you can use.

Good Luck, Coast

forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=227385

Hey Suncoast how are you?. I heard about this and what I did was to save both licenses to a CD. I also burned a copy of my game, first I removed all the tracks out of gamedata/locations and burned them to disk, then I burned the rest of the game.

Then the first thing I did was to reinstall the licence, then I reinstalled the base sim folder back in the program folder, then I reinstalled the tracks back. Heck I even burned the shortcut that was on my desktop.

While I was able to save everything and restore it, the very second I hit the shortcut a window opened and it wanted my keycode again and used another renewal. I don't know if I did something wrong, but it seems no matter what I did I still kept getting that pop up window.

What I don't want to do is do a complete new install and restart all over again! I think its silly to have to type in these babyfactory codes and others over and over again to get your money and points rating up, then you have to waste more time purchasing all the upgrades which takes more time and I don't want to go that route. The problem is that we do not have a clear understanding of what triggers a renewal!, so even if I had to start over, when I go to re-install items from my disk, it might again call for a renewal once again! I also think this whole renewal process is stupid, computers fail and I reformat once a year!, you almost have to given all the trash you pick up on the net.

I don't know maybe there is a proper order in which you have re-install and I did it wrong, not sure, but I do know that I pay an additional $ 14 dollars per month to have this on my server and now can't use until I get a return email from Trymedia and that can take up to two days to get a reply. The guy in the above post claims to have installed it five times, not sure how he did it as I always get that pop up window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:58 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

Did you back up data and license folders under...
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trymedia\

I have reinstalled twice and not been prompted for a renewal, Hope you get it sorted..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:41 am 
Driver
Driver

Tone wrote:
Did you back up data and license folders under...
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trymedia\

I have reinstalled twice and not been prompted for a renewal, Hope you get it sorted..

Yep!...The first thing I did was to re-install the licence folder before I reloaded the sim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:57 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I haven't done this myself, but I'd bet you install the game THEN copy over your license. I bet if you do it the other way it over writes it and tells you to get a new one.

Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:55 am 
Driver
Driver

yep, install the game first. then copy over the trymedia folder. I usually let the enter code or buy the game screen come up first, then shut it down. then copy the trymedia folder over. I've got it running on 2 pc's. mine and the kids. the son's pc doesn't have permanant internet connection. also forgot to burn his trymedia folder. so had to use one renewel the other day when I formatted his pc. but I've formatted my own pc a few times since rF come out(don't ask why :) ) and never had to request a renewel, on my own pc.

hope that clears it up

steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:23 pm 
Champion Driver
Champion Driver

Ahh, so you copy the liscence folder over after reinstalling it then, thats probably where the problem was at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:49 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

I have just tried installing rFactor on my laptop and copying across my backed up license folder (which I used twice at home on my PC- successfully!)

Now I am getting prompted to Buy/Unlock.. I took a copy of my license pre v1.0.4.0..

The main difference is that this time I used the v1.0.4.0 installer whereas previously I installed version v1.xx and patched to v1.0.4.0.

(being connected to the internet made no difference)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:09 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

^^Ignore post above ^^

I didnt realise key was locked to hardware.. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:12 am 
Jackman
Jackman

I have reinstalled a few times, just by totally deleting rFactor root folder. Then reinstall to same place again. Never touched the "trymedia folder"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:28 am 
Crew Chief
Crew Chief

gazzari wrote:
I have reinstalled a few times, just by totally deleting rFactor root folder. Then reinstall to same place again. Never touched the "trymedia folder"

Worked fine cuz you never deleted the trymedia folder and/or formatted your machine :P