It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bug in Decal Maps Shader
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:08 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Hello, I have to say that I can show you 2 images with shows a bug in 3DSimed with the new T1 Decal T2 shaders:

https://i.imgur.com/nN1CzAK.png

https://i.imgur.com/IdCRkOR.png

As you can see, when I choose "Decal T1,T2 Bump Cube Specular Map", some parts of the material doesn't care about those maps. I didn't try in-game yet but I think it will be the same.

I tried with "Decal T1,T2 Cube Map Specular" and it looks like it is working but I didn't try in-game too so I don't know.

By the way, if the name says "Decal T1,T2 Cube Map Specular" ... isn't it a bug that it only has Cube Map and missing the Specular?

Finally, I am just converting the F1 2017 steering wheels but if I would like to convert the car itself, then I would need the new Rain Drops + Damages textures too, something that should be added to the T1 Decal T2 Shader.

And another one: Did you forgot to fix the Heat Shader problem for rF2 in the new version? You didn't say anything in the release notes.

Many Thanks for keeping this updated.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:02 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

If you are having problems please make sure you have texture coordinates set for the bump and specular channels (2 and 3).

Decal T1,T2 Cube Map Specular is deliberate - it just uses the specular RGB.

I could not find any problem with the heat effect so I assumed my changes to the shaders for v1109 had done the trick.

I would look at a rain drop version of the decal shader but it's going to be a while.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:12 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Dave Noonan wrote:
If you are having problems please make sure you have texture coordinates set for the bump and specular channels (2 and 3).

Decal T1,T2 Cube Map Specular is deliberate - it just uses the specular RGB.

I could not find any problem with the heat effect so I assumed my changes to the shaders for v1109 had done the trick.

I would look at a rain drop version of the decal shader but it's going to be a while.

Cheers

Dave N.

I tried copy paste of texture coordinates from channel 0 to channel 2,3 and 4 but there is a problem: 3DSimed doesn't allow me to do it for the channel 4 so I can't do it :(

I think you should fix the problem not only because of Decal Shader but also because of the Rain Drops + Damage shader that uses more than 3 channels.

See you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:37 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

It doesn't need channel 4 as a cube map coordinates are generated automatically.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:59 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Dave Noonan wrote:
It doesn't need channel 4 as a cube map coordinates are generated automatically.

Cheers

Dave N.

Ok, then something its defo bugged as you can see here: https://i.imgur.com/AKPdNfY.png

I copied texture coordinates from channel 0 to channel 2 and 3 and as you can see it looks bad. I tried the same with channel 1 to channel 2 and 3 and its doing the same.

I think this could be easy fixeable if you could set automatically generated coordinates for the bump and the specular too as you did with the cube map which is working good.

Anyway, I think that in the future we should also be able to change texture coordinates to channel 4,5,6.... as some shaders like Assetto Corsa or rF2 DX11 are using them.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Maybe this can also help: https://i.imgur.com/w1wdd87.png

As you can see, I didn't set the textures yet and it already has bugged parts by just changing the used shader.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

I can confirm that defo there is something bad in the shader because copying channel 1 coordinates instead of 0 is also having bugged material but in different positions.

I think that the solution to fix this is: Automatically generated coordinates for bump and specular like you did with cube map.

I think this is the easy way that could work because I think that F1 Codemasters shaders are using different bumps and speculars for each t1 or t2 texture and also I want texture coordinates for all the car, not just for t1 parts or t2 parts and those ones are unknown coordinates by me which can't be found. Maybe they are using another textures coordinates that I don't know but they are not from t1 (channel 0) and not from t2 (channel 1) so I just can't do anything. I think you could fix it like I said you or you could try to find those unknown textures coordinates and replace them for bump and specular.

In one way or in another way, I hope you can fix this. Please

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:51 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

I think you have misunderstood how the cube map works : the cube map coordinates have to be generated in the shader because they are dynamic, to allow us to see the reflection which will change with eye position.

The coordinates on the specular channel and bump channel will depend on the texture used, but experimenting it looks like the F1 models have the bump coordinates defined on channel 2 but the complication is that we do not know what happens inside the F1-2017 shader so a one to one mapping is not possible to program.

Perhaps it would be simpler to just use the Decal T1,T2 Cube Map Specular which gives you only a single specular colour but requires no extra texture channels.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:33 am 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Dave Noonan wrote:
I think you have misunderstood how the cube map works : the cube map coordinates have to be generated in the shader because they are dynamic, to allow us to see the reflection which will change with eye position.

The coordinates on the specular channel and bump channel will depend on the texture used, but experimenting it looks like the F1 models have the bump coordinates defined on channel 2 but the complication is that we do not know what happens inside the F1-2017 shader so a one to one mapping is not possible to program.

Perhaps it would be simpler to just use the Decal T1,T2 Cube Map Specular which gives you only a single specular colour but requires no extra texture channels.

Cheers

Dave N.

So... My question now is: what its Decal T1.T2 Bump shader used for?

Lets see if I understeand: I can only copy texture coordinates from t1 or t2 to use the bump but... isn't the bump also adding a color to the material or is it just adding relief?

Well, at this momment I don't care too much about the bump but about the specular. So... If you say me cube map shader also adds a standard specular I think thats my shader but still my question remains: what we use bump shader for?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am 
US Pits Crew
US Pits Crew

I added the shader because you asked more decal shaders with specular and cube maps. It could also be useful when someone wants identical livery textures but, say, just add the driver's name and number on the decal texture.

Cheers

Dave N.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm 
Tirechanger
Tirechanger

Dave Noonan wrote:
I added the shader because you asked more decal shaders with specular and cube maps. It could also be useful when someone wants identical livery textures but, say, just add the driver's name and number on the decal texture.

Cheers

Dave N.

Yeah I wanted them but I don't know how to use them because textures coordinates are not working good xD.

Anyway, for me its enough with the cube map + specular RGB shader

Btw, you should update rF1 Decal Shader too. There is some people still in rFactor 1 and they have good F1 Codemasters mods that would look better with a cube + specular map.